Saturday, August 6, 2011

Gluten Free Cupcakes---That you don't have to bake yourself!

As a lazy mom, I have never baked a birthday cake.  I hated baking.  Seriously, hated it.

Then, in March, two days after tucking into a bakery-bought and gluten-full smash cake, my one year old was diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  Now to combat the additives, preservatives, and high prices of pre-packaged gluten free foods, I am spending a lot of time in the kitchen.

When you are baking, bread, crackers, granola bars, dog treats and cookies every week, it's hard to find the time to make treats for yourself.  So, imagine my excitement when, on a girl's night out, I came across Gluten Free cupcakes at Maxie B's.

There may have been a happy dance.  Just sayin.

Apparently, Maxie B's has a gluten free cupcake of some variety available every day.  They also will create gluten free cakes for you for just $10 more than typical cake prices.  I had them make a GF Key Lime Pie for my cousin with CD and it was amazing.

Since with any bakery cross contamination can be a concern, I e-mailed the owner for clarification of their policies.  Robin Davis's prompt response told me that they use special wash for their utensils and pans along with a dedicated gluten free mixer.   She did mention that the cakes are made in the same kitchen as regular baked goods and that may be a concern for those suffering airborne cross contamination.  She said they have not been told of any reactions so far.

While I can say my cousin had no reaction, I haven't given the cakes to my daughter yet as she is pre-verbal, and we just don't know how sensitive she is.   I'm assuming in a year or two she'll be eating them with abandon!

Happy eating!

4 comments:

Zach said...

Lorin, welcome to the blog! In cases where something is not made in a dedicated gluten free facility, I recommend testing the product with an at home test. Goole EZGluten or Glutentox. Its the only way to know for sure.

Suzanne said...

I hate to disappoint but Maxie's does not always have GF cupcakes..call first.

Dabney said...

Lorin! I was doing a search on gluten-free bakery items in GSO and came to your link! Trying to find something for a co-worker for tomorrow. Going to give Maxi Bs a call today. Thanks! Dabney

Production on the Rise said...

Not only do they not always have Gluten Free cupcakes as they advertise, they also will not make a gluten free cake for any price at all. I just called and asked them if they could make a gluten free birthday cake and they said "We don't do that, we only make gluten free cupcakes and we are out of those today". So, it's not all it's cracked up to be.